Settler’s Cabin Park | 1225 Greer Rd., Oakdale, PA
In addition to hiking trails, a wave pool, tennis courts, dek hockey rink and multiple playgrounds, Settlers Cabin Park is now home to some pretty amazing outdoor exercise equipment! It’s free to use anytime and available year round.
Kids will love the playground! We had a blast during our recent visit. The playground features multiple slides, musical elements, climbing walls, shade canopies, unique climbing equipment, swings and is wheelchair accessible (read more about the playground here)
Outdoor Exercise Equipment at Settlers Cabin Park
Located next to the main playground at Settlers Cabin Park, it’s plenty close for parents get a workout in while keep an eye on the kids while they play.
The following is a list of equipment available for use at Settlers Cabin Park:
(2) Air Striders – this piece of equipment allows for a striding motion which improves hip and lower-body flexibility; it also tones legs and glutes and provides a no-impact cardio workout
(2) Ellipticals – this piece of equipment provides a genuine elliptical motion for a low-impact cardio workout; it improves full-body flexibility while also allowing for the toning of arms, obliques, waist, hips, glutes, quads and calves
(1) Knee Raise Dip Combo – this piece of equipment provides an abdominal workout and back stretch; users can perform a knee raise on one side and dips and stretching and pull-ups on the other side
(1) Arm and Leg Press Combo – this piece of equipment is a bodyweight resistance unit that allows for a lower and upper body workout; the user can change the resistance by changing their body positioning
(1) Pull Up Dip Combo – this piece of equipment provides opportunity for multi-height pull-up, chin-up, and stretch with a suspending dip station that strengthens and tones, arms, chest, shoulders and back; it is a multi-use station.
Work Out While They Play!
In Summer of 2016, several outdoor gyms were built in public parks throughout Allegheny County as part of their Live Well Allegheny initiative. Conveniently located next to playgrounds, parents/caregivers can get a workout in while their kids enjoy some playground time. Double win! It’s such a great idea and such a fun way to take advantage of enjoying the outdoors.
How to Use the Outdoor Exercise Equipment
If you’re not sure how to use something, don’t worry! There are convenient little tips and directions posted directly on each machine.
An example of a “circuit” would be to do 25-50 repetitions on each machine (no rest periods in-between). When you’ve completed repetitions on every machine, you’ve completed “one circuit.” You can do this as many or as few times as you’d like. It’s a great way to build strength, endurance and get a great cardio workout in as well.
Please note, these machines are meant for ADULTS only (ages 14+). I know they’re very tempting for children, but for their safety, please refrain from letting them play on the equipment. Sometimes adults should have fun things just for themselves… right?! 🙂
Additional Outdoor Exercise Station Locations
North Park | S Ridge Dr, Allison Park, PA 15101
Round Hill Park | 651 Round Hill Rd, Elizabeth, PA 15037
South Park | Corrigan Dr, South Park Township, PA 15129
White Oak Park | 3 Muse Ln, White Oak, PA 15131
Boyce Park | Monroeville Trestle Rd (at Wimbledon Dr) Plum, PA 15239
Deer Lakes Park | 1090 Bailey Run Rd, Tarentum, PA 15084
Harrison Hills Park | 5200 Freeport Rd, Natrona Heights, PA 15065
If you have any additional questions you can contact Allegheny Parks and Recreation at (412) 350-7275 or visit their website for more information.